Lead WordPress Developer
What is the project and why should you care?
We sit at the table with the world leaders in lead generation. We earned that seat by developing practices and processes that make us a little different from the average company.
Our team of website wizards focus on the iGaming and financial services industries, and we own some of the biggest brands in those niches. We’ve been around since 2008.
Forming part of our technology leadership team, the mission for this role is to give our WordPress developers all the support they need to perform to their best, driving technical decisions and approaches, best agile and engineering practices, relentless improvement to deliver better and faster, and ultimately delight our end users.
The candidate we’re looking for will be able to understand and apply our core company values of trust, transparency, accountability and growth mindset. These values are at the heart of everything we do, are vital for all roles and applicants must show how they have applied at least some of these attributes in their previous employment.
Location – Macedonia, Nigeria
You would be a great fit for this position if you have:
- At least 5 years’ experience with WordPress, creating custom themes and plugins.
- Experience with using native WordPress API to create setting pages, custom fields, shortcodes and Gutenberg blocks.
- Experience managing multisite implementations.
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming, and best practices, in PHP including debugging and profiling techniques.
- Comfortable both consuming and implementing RESTful APIs in PHP.
- Familiar with most common security issues
- Extensive knowledge of WordPress action and filter hooks and lifecycle page requests.
- Experience creating native Gutenberg blocks (not with ACF or other framework)
- Cooperate with and assist other Software Developers, QA and DevOps Teams in reproducing, investigating and resolving defects which manifest themselves in production.
- ES6 experience is a must.
- Knowledge of SCSS and webpack.
- Able to optimize websites for high scores on Google PageSpeed Insights and Google Lighthouse.
- Experience leading a team of developers.
- Willing to show initiation to help Product Manager run sprint planning
- Can manage technical debt workload distribution
- Experience coaching less skilled developers
Other Skills & Experience:
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Motivated with a collaborative and growth mindset
- Committed to a culture of growth, trust, transparency and accountability
- Well organized with superb attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Has a passion for quality, and knowledge of what it takes to ship high quality code
- Dedicated to speed of delivery without compromising quality
- Team leadership skills that focus on inspiration and influence.
- Knowledge of Git or Git-based code repository systems
- Experience troubleshooting complex production issues.
- The candidate must embrace and promote our core values of trust, transparency, accountability and growth mindset
Here are all the things you’ll get to do on the project:
- Owns the WordPress architecture underpinning many of our websites.
- Acts as a design authority for the WordPress architecture through the entire lifecycle, driving technical decisions in collaboration with other developers and peer technology leaders.
- Liaises with Product Owners and other stakeholders, negotiating requirements and outlining proposals for new system behaviour, including benefits, limitations and risks, as well as mitigations for the latter.
- Ensures that technical decisions related to our WordPress sites are aligned with the requirements of the business.
- Leads the developers working on our WordPress websites, handling people management responsibilities such as recruitment for the teams, holding regular 1-1’s with individual team members, providing continuous performance feedback, and enabling team and individual growth from onboarding to ongoing learning and development.