On April 6 – 7, 2019 Symphony Solutions office in Lviv will welcome IT enthusiasts who will hel...06 February 2019
KindHack at Symphony Solutions 6th and 7th April 2019
IF YOU CODE, CODE FOR GOOD
Code for good purpose. Code to win. Win for good. This sounds like a hack-a-thon, but it is one step beyond a traditional hack-a-thon. That one step makes a big difference because you code for real charity projects, a recent tradition at Symphony Solutions since 2014.
Here’s how it works:
– There are 5 – 6 projects
– Each project has a development team of 4 – 6 people
– They work all weekend on their projects
– They receive mentorship from seniors
– One team wins a prize
Developers love these projects, because they work at heightened speed and concentration, with people from all over the city, racing against time limit during one weekend to complete their
At the end of the weekend, they submit their prototypes or live websites, and one team wins. But all are winners in the eyes of the NGO’s, because they would never be able to afford these projects on their limited budgets.
Valentina Synenka of Symphony Solutions says:
“We choose projects which have a social impact, strong potential, and are interesting and challenging for developers.”
A Recent KindHack Project
A recent KindHack project at Symphony Solutions in Macedonia was an online psychological referral service for an NGO, which was struggling to address the needs of their members 24 hours per day with just their phone lines. By the time they found an available psychologist, hours had passed. They needed a system to refer those in need to an available psychologist at any time and in a short time.
The KindHack team designed, developed and tested the online referral system. The NGO was very grateful, but the biggest beneficiaries were the members who got help and the psychologists who willingly donated their time.
Online Project Developed:
Each project is different, but every project has a valuable aspect in common, real solutions for worthy projects. NGO’s of all types submit projects, and the selection of 5 – 6 projects is always difficult.
Past projects have ranged from:
– The World Wildlife Fund
– Vpershe, an online program about sex education and discrimination
– Lviv cycle map for Zruchne Misto
– A redesigned and updated website for Sheptytskyy Hospital in Lviv
– Co2 calculator for Umka
The next KindHack takes place on 6th and 7th of April. A few examples of projects selected follow:
1. Teachers Guild – They need an online service to unite the education community to share ideas and issues, to discuss problem areas, to spread learning.
2. Plast – Plast is a scouting organization which needs a mobile app for new members. This will provide orientation with background information, directories, calendar of events, and feedback
3. Hope in Action – is a mobile medical team which gives free medical, spiritual, and psychological consultation. They have a “cobweb website” which needs re-vamping and updating for all
categories of service, in Ukrainian and English.
We still have places for developers, designers, QA. If you have done this before, you will probably want to do another. If not, you may want to try. All are welcome.
For more information, click here to visit Facebook event page.